Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Short courses?

"Gareth" wrote in message
My diy skills are useless. I think a lot of it is a lack of confidence in
using tools and also, to be honest, the fear of making a costly cock up.

Has anyone here as a complete beginner undertaken a 5 day intensive course
in, say, plumbing? I saw the 5 day intensive course advertised by Able
Skills and it does sound good.

Is it possible though for someone who is completely lacking in both
confidence and technical skills to get anything from a 5 day intensive
course?

The last straw for me was paying a plumber £60 to tighten a f******
radiator nut.

One point I haven't seen clearly mentioned - what are the entry requirements
for the course?
Is it for people who have never touched a tool of any kind in their life, or
does it assume a level of previous experience in DIY or the building trade?

I would have thought that the local adult education might do an Introduction
to DIY or Home Maintenance or similar which would be a broader grounding for
you to build on later with more specific courses.

A local college may do evening classes, for instance.

HTH

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder