Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default Learned something about collets...

All my cheap collet are tight on the work peice and you need to force
the part in. This scratchs TGP shafting. It would seem better
collets are sprung apart after grinding to size to allow an on size
part to slide in freely..

see... http://www.royalprod.com/product.cfm?catID=6&id=85

The Tuff-Pro 5C and R8 collets we offer are hardened, ground, and
guaranteed accurate to 0.0005" TIR. However, they are manufactured in
China, they are not spread after grinding, and their aesthetic
appearance is not quite good enough for them to carry the Royal name.

Randy...
slowly upgrading my TTC (Traver tool co.) collets I'
ve had for over 25 years to Lyndex or Royal.

Bad thing about Lyndex collets are they are marked with size but not
brand name. Hard to tell them apart from the cheap crap.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy