Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Question on lathe alignment.

On Jun 22, 12:46*am, "Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote:
My Sag 12 Graziano has twist in the bed, and always has had, from the day it
was received (bought new back in '67). * In my case, were it a big enough
problem, all I'd have to do is shim on the back side at the tailstock,
between the bed and base/chip pan, which, on the Graziano, is a very heavy
iron casting. *Plain and simple, they screwed up when the lathe was
assembled.

Harold-

So you know about the inaccuracy and have learned to live with it.

I don't turn thick press rolls. When I make an axle or such the
critical diameter sections aren't very long so deflection can be a
bigger source of taper error than lathe misalignment.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...44360314674306
The general class is machine structural elements that need strength in
the middle and attachments at the ends, and may be too rough to run in
steady rests, steam engine rods for instance.

Do you know any good tricks for turning thin cylinders, particularly
on a lathe that lacks the collets and follower rest I use?

jsw