Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Pool nightmare

PeterD wrote in :

On 6/21/2011 10:21 AM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 6/20/2011 7:50 PM, EXT wrote:

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 6/20/2011 12:25 PM, willshak wrote:
The house was already constructed, but...
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/...-disclosure-wh
at-you-dont-know-can-hurt-you/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl3|sec1_lnk2

or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3tjdomg

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

well, duh. they put yuppie subdivisions on top of landfills all the
time.

Yeah, cheap 12" deep foundations don't provide much support, nor
reveal much underground information. So you could end up overlooking
a lot of potential problems. Up here in the cold north minimum depth
is 4 feet, many foundations go 5 to 7 feet deep to allow for a
basement.

I'm a wondering two things:
1. what lo life jurisdiction only requires a 12" footing?
2. What dumass would build a house without a basement? It's only a
couple thousand more than a crawl or a slab.

1. Most in Florida!

2. Steve, this house is in Florida, where NO houses have basements.
Crawlspaces are not favored either for many reasons.

1. dig a hole in Florida,and it usually fills up with water.
We have no deep freezes,so there's no need to have a deep foundation.

2.crawlspaces in Florida are likely to become a home for unwanted critters
or bug colonies. People have found gators in their garages,in screened
patios,and even inside the house itself. We have "Palmetto Bugs",a giant
cockroach,up to 2" long.They fly,too. They like damp,dark places.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik