Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Pool nightmare

On 6/21/2011 9:27 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 21, 10:21 am, Steve wrote:
On 6/20/2011 7:50 PM, EXT wrote:

"Steve wrote in message
On 6/20/2011 12:25 PM, willshak wrote:
The house was already constructed, but...
http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/06/20/real-estate-disclosure-what...main5|dl3|sec1_lnk2|71747

or:http://preview.tinyurl.com/3tjdomg

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

well, duh. they put yuppie subdivisions on top of landfills all the time.

Yeah, cheap 12" deep foundations don't provide much support, nor reveal
much underground information. So you could end up overlooking a lot of
potential problems. Up here in the cold north minimum depth is 4 feet,
many foundations go 5 to 7 feet deep to allow for a basement.

I'm a wondering two things:
1. what lo life jurisdiction only requires a 12" footing?
2. What dumass would build a house without a basement? It's only a
couple thousand more than a crawl or a slab.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

Southern half of Florida. No frost heave. Lots of areas are not good
places to build basements. Areas with poor drainage or water close to
the surface. Like Florida. You do not find many here in NC either.
Poor drainage and lots of heavy rain. A few where the land slopes
enough that most of the basement is out of the ground anyway. Don't
make assupmtions based on your locality.

I'm not making any assumptions at all. It's just commonsense to build a
basement. regardless of soil conditions. It's all workable. AND the
IBC requires footings to be deeper than 12" regardless of location.

--
Steve Barker