Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT -- switching heating elements

"Jeffrey Angus" wrote in message
On 6/20/2011 10:36 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Why don't you stop by, and I'll pull out the heating element part way.
Then you can touch one of the wires feeding the element with one hand,
and the a ground (such as the oven cabinet) with your other other hand.

Care to bet your life on it?

I'd be happy to, idiot. I have enough sense to disconnect it first.

Oh. I thought all that was needed was to disconnect one side.

From my perspective, the issue is this... There are certain design rules you
follow, simply because they're common sense. That's it.

My toaster oven doesn't shut off when you open the door, either because B&D
was cheap, or the designer didn't think anything bad would ever happen.
Older models did, including ones with sealed heating elements.