Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Table saw finger remover

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I also wonder how many injuries were with 'real' table saws, and how
many were with those tiny toys with the 18" square tables, that aren't
useful for much more than building bird houses. (Try ripping a sheet of
plywood on one of those tiny things, even with a helper.)

When I was a kid I helped my dad with home improvement projects around
the house. He had the only table saw I was ever afraid of. It was a
circular saw that could be bolted to the bottom of a "table" that was a
sheet metal frame about 12" tall. We ran it out in the driveway. The
thing screamed and vibrated and rattled and I was sure it was going to
kill us both. I know for sure it didn't have any guards, and I don't
think it had a fence.

My dad's only phillips screwdriver had 3 teeth and a bent shaft, and he
built things with rusty old screws and bent nails that he "straightened"
by hammering them against the concrete. I bring this up to substantiate
my thought that the bearings in the saw hadn't seen any grease for 100
years.