Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Mounting a Small Tire on Wheel

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 13:10:26 -0700, Sonny wrote:
I vote the sudsy water suggestion (Oren!) is tops. I would concentrate
the soap, liquid dish soap preferrably, so that it is more creamy than
sudsy water. Smear the whole tube, the inside of the tire and rim.
Works dandily on small wheel barrow tires, also.

Yeah, I've always used Dawn or equivalent for that, and it seems to work
well.

Addendum: In trying to reinstall a large 250 lb pillar under a house
corner, after releveling the house, we 1) prepped/compacted the soil,
smooth, where the pillar was to go. 2) laid a large plastic trash bag on
the outside edge and up under the house corner.

Interesting you mention that. There was a video on youtube of a guy (a
motorbike restorer, if I remember right) who uses garbage bags placed
over the rim to assist in getting the tire on. Removing all of the bag
afterwards looked to be quite the struggle, though, so overall I'm not
sure it would save any time - but it was interesting to see an
alternative method.

cheers

Jules