Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Question on lathe alignment.

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
OK, whats the preffered way of doing the horizontal and vertical
alignment of the headstock and tailstock. I have a calibrated bar and
finger indicator. No machinists level, so will take it as a given the
bed is flat and true.

Is it between centres each end. (my first choice.)

If you did it using the 3-jaw chuck and the dead centre at the
tailstock method, as I have seen in places, would this not just
introduce more error into the process as the 3-jaw certainly aint
true ...and it would give a different offset every time you chucked
something up anyway.

Replies appreciated,

Andrew VK3BFA.

DO NOT assume the bed is flat and true !! Beg borrow or steal a level ,
because you're just ****in' upwind otherwise .
Google "Rollie's Dad's Method" for a way to check if the head is aligned
with the ways . To check tailstock alignment I use a bar that's got a larger
diameter section on both ends/smaller in the center between centers . Make a
light cut at one end , then the other without moving the cross
slide/compound . Checking the resulting diameters will tell you whether the
tailstock is aligned horizontally or not , and how much it's out .
--
Snag
Learning keeps