Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Shower leaking into wall?

On Jun 17, 9:19*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
Here's a link to several pix of a nasty situation in my (only)
bathroom.

I am scared to death that there is a leak somewhere in the wall which
is showing up at the base.

Background: *Some years ago the latch on the shower went bad, and
water leaked out in this area. *So I replaced the latch. *Shower is
used by another person, so I just now checked to make sure it closed
tight, and it does, and OP is aware of this. I got in the shower,
turned on the water, but did not see any leakage through shower door.

Any idea what could be causing this, and what I need to do?

TIA

HB

HB- (aka OP)

Having read all the entire thread & looked at all the photos you
posted.....my best guess is that leak is from inside the shower stall.

My buddy's ex-wife's house has the exact same shower stall / bath tub
arrangement and the exact same water damage (~2009).
Her house in in SoCal & was built in the early 50's. The shower
stall tile & tube are original.

He & I determined that the source of the leak was failed grout on the
floor of shower stall, cracked grout at the wall / floor corners and
most likely a cracked / deteriorated shower pan.

We took a look from the crawl space and saw that the subfloor had
evidence of water leakage.
We ran the shower to confirm an active leak.

She didn't want to bear the cost to redo the shower stall (it was a
rental that she wanted to get new tenants into)
Since damage was already done, we caulked the corners & re-grouted
floor and re-checked the leak behavior.
The leaking was reduced by 90% but the dry rot is slowly continuing
the destruction even in the relatively dry SoCal environment.

I would suggest you get a look at the underside of the shower stall
(from the crawl space) after the shower has been unused for a couple
weeks and then run the shower and see the effect on the subfloor.

It that leak has been active for any length of time, I'd bet you're in
for a shower stall rebuild.

cheers
Bob