Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawing

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:18:49 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Betty's book challenges you quite a bit. Try drawing an upside down
picture of a rocking chair. It challenges all you know about
perspective. DAMHIKT.

To me, it seems like the important part of that is that it forces you to
create an store an image in your brain. It's analogous to trying to play
guitar without really having a tune in your head. By this point I have
managed to learn to do both to some degree. The blues singer Son (Eddie)
House expressed the idea most-eloquently: "Until you've got that song in
your head you ain't gonna do s$#t!" Seriously, I wish I had really
understand that sooner!

Grok that.

It is probably true that in an involved drawing involving many things,
my use of perspective may not be consistent. That's probably one of my
critical areas for improvement. So this might be improved by drawing
upside down, huh?

I think she wants to expand our knowledge of perspective. She has all
sorts of interesting little chore drawings in the book. I have the
older version, 1st ed, I believe.

Maybe it would be fun to share our drawings..anyone interested? We
could pick something interesting. And then we could post links to our
drawings here.

Too many women, so little time...

The last time I was on Oahu, I drove out to the Ho'omaluhia Botanical
Gardens in Kane'ohe and sat in a perfect place and sketched the
beautiful, green, nearly vertical volcanic mountain range in the
background and the tropical trees in the foreground. It was just
great, listening to the different birds, until the damned gardener
came and started mowing the lawn in front of me. 50 minutes of bliss,
anyway. (not his fault)

I saw a tree I was going to lean against while I sketched and walked
toward it. Upon getting closer, I decided against it, choosing a nice
coarse palm trunk instead. The ceiba I had chosen from afar had nasty
spikes on the trunk. http://goo.gl/aVWRI

Glad to see the tree is able to stick up for itself! ; )

Ooh, tacky!

I've never used AutoCAD. But I know you can get a much bigger monitor
for not too much money these days! I do understand what you are saying
about paper vs computers as I haven't been able to warm up to e-books
yet...

I'm still having a love/hate relationship with them. I think the new
flat screens are better on the eyes than the old CRTs, though. I find
myself reading more online now, and watching Netflix movies streamed
on the computer.

I've watched The Woodwright's Shop online and some YouTube videos. I
haven't tried a movie yet, so you're ahead of me. My wife watches
Netflix movies on her IPad. I'm rather myopic for that sort of thing.

You'd rather be wooddorking than myoping around, eh?

--
The more passions and desires one has,
the more ways one has of being happy.