Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Ping Bill, in Indiana; Anyone near Waverly, Ohio?

Bill wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

There are probably a few things I would do differently the next time
around. I learned a lot by doing the project. For instance, I learned
that Brad point bits are great!

I remember learning that lesson. BPs are great for wood, aren't they?
No splintering at the leading edges now, even in softwood! Forstners
are another treat.

Since we're talking about this. I noticed all of my exit holes came out
without splintering, but I had some splintering where where the (1/2")
bit entered. I was using a variable-speed hand drill. I was wondering
whether to blame this on the drill not being up-to-speed before contact?
Is this the likely culprit?

Hmmm.. another variable. In the case where I got splintering I had
already pre-drilled with 3/16" bit. Is that, more likely, the source of
the splintering.

Bill