Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Aluminum frame and replacement window problem - window.jpg (0/1)

"PC Guy" wrote in message
I have old aluminum frame windows in my bedroom and wanted to replace them
with double humg vinyl
windows to keep more sound out of the nearby road. I didnt want to start
taking off the siding so I
went for replacements. My aluminum frame looked like it was just glued
around the inside window
frame so I started prying it out. Hours later, and not getting too far, I
realized that this things
is nailed into the frame of the house, under tha original asbestos
shingles, which are under the
vinyl siding. I mangles the bottom of the frame and had to hacksaw it out.
Now I am screwed. I
wanted to remove the entire aluminum track but it doesnt look like I can.
When I push my replacement
window against the aluminum frame, using that as a stop, it looks fine
from the inside but the
outside is missing wood. Is there anything that can be done to repair this
other than buying new
construction windows? I paid $500 for two windows from Home Depot and they
are custom sized and I
cannot return them.

If I originally installed these against the aluminum frams, would they
have been effective? I
thought aluminum carries sound. Also, there is a small 1/16 raised line of
aluminum that runs down
the center of the left and right frame that would cause the window to not
be flush with the entire
frame. I really made a mess of this window. I am trying to do damage
control. Is there a way to do
this? Please refrain from the "why did you even try this yourself?" posts.
I know I messed up. I
learned the hard way. I didnt think it would be this hard but as usual, a
big can of worms fly open.

I attached a picture although I am not sure if you can see it. If not, I
can email a picture to you.

Thanks

Johnny

Do what Smutty said about the pictures.

I am sure that with the combined mind power and experience of this group
that you can find a way to make them work.

Colbyt