Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Accurately bending threaded rod

Tom Gardner wrote:
I have a new a product that will use two pieces, 4" long of 1/4-20
threaded rod. Each piece will need to have two 20 degree bends, each
bend will be 1-1/2" from each end and on the same plane. A Nylon insert
locknut will thread on each end about 1/2" to hold three pieces
sandwiched together. This is an angled variation on a standard product
that uses two 1/4" x 4" carriage bolts in a straight configuration.

I have to figure out how to bend the rod to the correct angle and on the
same plane without cracking the rod or boogering the threads where the
nuts go. The application doesn't require extreme strength, the cheapest
allthread is plenty strong if it isn't cracked.

The requirement is for 1k pieces per day at a total cost of =$.20 each

The problems I see are that the saw cut pieces have to be deburred to
get a nut started and if I bend the parts in a form on a punch press,
I'd be worried about smearing the threads and any secondary operation
might push the cost window. Ideally, I imagine a die that parts the rod
and bends it in one hit with a spring-loaded feeder that the operator
drops in a standard 36" length of allthread every nine hits.

Well how about starting with preformed 4" sections instead of using long
pieces cut down?

I would contact a couple fastener companies and see what they have
available. For the numbers you need I would think they might want to do
business. I know you can buy all-thread at tractor supply as short as 8"
with clean threads (not cut pieces).

Then it would be simple to make a die set for the press that an
operator would lay 10 or so pieces in and hit the switch. repeat till
order is done.
With formed threads on each end no de-burr needed and no cutting in house.

--
Steve W.