Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] kfvorwerk@gmail.com is offline

Default Scissors & Belt Sanders

On Jun 17, 8:45*am, DougC wrote:
On 6/16/2011 2:32 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: I've always struggled with sharpening scissors. Yesterday after
struggling to shear one of our fluffy little yappy mutts I took a pair
out to the shop and very lightly dresses it on 1x30 belt sander. Just a
couple light passes and it was perfect. It now will slice through
tissues paper hanging limp leaving a perfectly cut edge. The dog saw me
come back with scissors in one hand and a gleam in my eye, and headed
for points unknown...

If a belt sander works really well, I am somewhat reluctant to ask how
you were sharpening them previously.

Ummm,,, maybe look into making a mini-project of a Lanskey-style
sharpening setup for your scissors. You grind the (steel or stainless)
blades only with smooth ceramic stones. 30 is a fair guess, but the
angle varies from 5 to 45 with different models of scissors-

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/Scissorangles.htm

Aluminum-blade scissors are resharpened by putting them in the trash can
and buying a new pair. The faces (that are ground) and sides (that rub
together) both wear down so fast it isn't worth the bother. Their price
should reflect their disposable nature.

Thanks for that link.
Karl