Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Door knob lock tumbler shifted or something

On 6/18/2011 12:04 AM, Cheryl wrote:
Do any of you know why or if the tumbler in a door knob can shift
causing it to not let the door be opened? I was just locked out and I
didn't even lock the door when I stepped outside for a few minutes. It
seemed like it was the deadbolt but I really think it is the door knob
lock. I had the locks changed a year ago by a locksmith rather then
changing out the door knobs and deadbolts.

Likely not the tumbler- most likely one of the metal tabs or fingers
that make all the parts link together. Take it all apart and put it back
together will probably fix it, for awhile at least. Locksmith that did
the work should have spoken up if the internal parts were worn. Did they
give you a warranty on the work? I'd call them anyway, and describe the
issue. Just for sake of goodwill, they may give you a price break on a
follow-up service call.

As cheap as residential-grade knobs and deadbolts are, rather than mess
with a locksmith, I just went to the big-box and bought enough sets
keyed alike, and swapped them all out. Only reason NOT to do that, IMHO,
is if you have some fancy entry door latch set that does not use
easily-available parts.

--
aem sends....