Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Concrete tents - easy to build they say.

On Jun 16, 8:39*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 15, 11:46*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Jun 15, 12:36*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Jun 14, 11:24*pm, Harry K wrote:

On Jun 14, 7:36*am, "

wrote:
On 14 Jun 2011 13:03:43 GMT, Dbdblocker wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 05:33:26 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:

Hope this isn't ot - these could be used for a garage, shop, chicken
house, etc.
Bob-tx

http://www.wimp.com/concretetents/

But, all that glitters is not plastic - read below

LONDON (AlertNet) - Two British engineers have scooped a global
innovation award for an inflatable concrete tent, designed for rapid
deployment in disaster zones, but aid workers differ on its practical
viability. The inventors, Peter Brewin and William Crawford, say they
saw a need for the structure given the inadequate protection provided by
tents in the aftermath of disasters such as the Pakistan earthquake.
'With shelter and medical facilities it is possible to rebuild shattered
communities from day one of a crisis,' they said in a statement. The
tent, made from fabric impregnated with concrete, can be put up by an
untrained person in 40 minutes. It takes 12 hours for the concrete to
set, but once done, the tent can last for up to 10 years. The two
designers, both 26, developed so-called Concrete Canvas during an
industrial engineering course at the Royal College of Art in London.
Their efforts were rewarded on January 26 at a ceremony in New York with
the presentation of the top prize at the Saatchi & Saatchi Award for
World Changing Ideas.
Media reports say the invention has attracted interest from the United
Nations and several international humanitarian agencies. JUST ADD WATER
'If this was available now, we would buy 10 today,' Monica Castellarnau,
a programme director at M'decins Sans Fronti'res, was quoted as saying
by Wired News. Its combination of ease of assembly with durability has
also drawn praise.
The logic of Concrete Canvas is simple. Each unit ' weighing 227 kg (500
lb), making it light enough to transport by plane or truck - comprises
an inflatable plastic inner bubble, wrapped in the treated fabric and
packed in a plastic sack.
To deploy the tent, the sack is first filled with 145 litres (32
gallons) of water, which is absorbed by the cloth. The sack is then cut
open, the tent is unfolded and the plastic bubble is inflated. The
canvas then moulds around the bubble and sets to form the solid
infrastructure of the tent. The finished shelter covers some 16 sq
meters (172 sq feet) of floor space and the cost per unit is estimated
at '1,100 ($2,100). But some aid officials are not convinced. 'At first
sight it looks marvellous,' said Rishi Ramrakha, a logistics officer at
the British Red Cross Society. 'But the real practicalities look a bit
difficult.'
According to Ramrakha, there are several central problems. First, the
unit is too heavy to be carried easily into areas where there might not
be access for aircraft or trucks. The second is the amount of water
needed to erect each tent.
'Where are you going to get 145 litres in a disaster zone?' he asked.
Experts also point out that displaced populations are accommodated in
temporary shelter because they will eventually be encouraged either to
better place.
The construction of permanent structures, particularly in conflict
zones, could hamper that process, they say.

I'm gonna build a concrete car.

I've seen concrete boats. *Why not? *Airplane anyone? *;-)- Hide quoted text -

Mythbusters built and flew a balloon made of lead so why not.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

You're comparing apples to bridges.- Hide quoted text -

And *you're not?

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Huh? *What comparison did I make?- Hide quoted text -

" I've seen concrete boats. Why not? Airplane anyone? ;-)"

Shouldn't need to have that pointed out. You compared one type of
transportation to another and I did the same. You seem to trying to
get a fight started or something. Have a problem with my rare posts
do you?

Harry K