Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Shower leaking into wall?

jamesgangnc wrote the following:
On Jun 17, 12:19 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Here's a link to several pix of a nasty situation in my (only)
bathroom.

I am scared to death that there is a leak somewhere in the wall which
is showing up at the base.

Background: Some years ago the latch on the shower went bad, and
water leaked out in this area. So I replaced the latch. Shower is
used by another person, so I just now checked to make sure it closed
tight, and it does, and OP is aware of this. I got in the shower,
turned on the water, but did not see any leakage through shower door.

Any idea what could be causing this, and what I need to do?

TIA

HB

That's not really enough to go on. Wallboard near the outside of
showers often gets water soaked. Remove the wallboard. Look at the
lumber behind it for signs of water staining. Leave the wallboard off
for a while so you can check the inside of the wall after the shower
is used.

That appears to be a lath and plaster wall with the 'brown coat' showing.
As for the cause, I would suspect a leak in the plumbing behind the
wall, perhaps above the valve, which may only leak when the valve is
turned on.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY