Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Scissors & Belt Sanders

On Jun 16, 11:23*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:32:47 -0700, "Bob La Londe"

wrote:
I've always struggled with sharpening scissors. *Yesterday after struggling
to shear one of our fluffy little yappy mutts I took a pair out to the shop
and very lightly dresses it on 1x30 belt sander. *Just a couple light passes
and it was perfect. *It now will slice through tissues paper hanging limp
leaving a perfectly cut edge. *The dog saw me come back with scissors in one
hand and a gleam in my eye, and headed for points unknown...

Oh, sure. Try it with a second pair. Methinks you got lucky.

I wave mine over my 600 grit diamond plate a couple times and they
love it. I need to get a 6 or 8" 1200 grit plate.

Diamonds are a boy's best friend, y'know.

P.S: Dull knives and shears (and rocks and clubs) work best on the
noisiest of little yappers.

If they're really dull, you can use the diamond hone. I don't let
mine get that dull, usually just needs a pass or two from a hard
Arkansas stone to get them back into shape. For the cutlery impared,
you DON'T sharpen the wide, flat areas that rub together, the cutting
parts are the narrow angled areas, "shears", you know. If you're new
at the game, a magic marker will show where you've hit and where
you've missed. Top-quality scissors have screws that allow some
adjustment and also dismantling for sharpening, not rivets.

Stan