Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Scissors & Belt Sanders

You may just be cutting with the burrs. A file, as Wes suggests, is a
relatively fail-safe sharpening tool for scissors.
Ya done good if they're better than they were.. but if it's just burrs, the
sharpness will fade kinda quickly.

I've seen a lot of decent tools and knives fuctup by some who thought a belt
sander would be effortless and a perfect solution.

A haircutter friend preferred me to sharpen her scissors.. and they were
touched up frequently enough to only need stoned lightly. Good quality
German specialty scissors.

Quality scissors are slightly hollow ground on the mating surfaces, and when
treated well, the sharp edges hold up very well.

Talkin carbon steel here, not stainless.

--
WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I've always struggled with sharpening scissors. Yesterday after
struggling to shear one of our fluffy little yappy mutts I took a pair out
to the shop and very lightly dresses it on 1x30 belt sander. Just a
couple light passes and it was perfect. It now will slice through tissues
paper hanging limp leaving a perfectly cut edge. The dog saw me come back
with scissors in one hand and a gleam in my eye, and headed for points
unknown...