Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ret.[_5_] Ret.[_5_] is offline

Default Programmable thermostat

ARWadsworth wrote:
Fredxx wrote:
On 17/06/2011 16:03, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 17, 2:09 pm, wrote:
This for an old lady in her 70's and I want this to be as simple
as possible to setup and use.

I am replacing the existing thermostat, so a wired version would
be preferred, will require batteries as I'm fairly sure there
isn't a permanent live and neutral at the existing stat.

Any recommended makes and models?

If you want simple, forget about programmable stats. I had one and
fonud that in practice it did nothing useful that a bimetal stat
and programmer dont do.

I have to disagree with that. We have a programmable room stat and
its far better than the old dial one. We set different temperatures
for different times of the day no standard stat + programmer can do
that.

It can. You just turn the dial on the roomstat.

I'd sooner stay in bed whilst the house warms up!!

So just like a traditional stat and programmer then:-)

Having fitted hundereds of programmable rooms stats I have never
found one that is easy for most elderly customers to use.

The one that I have is very efficient - but every time I want to set it, for
example to be off for a week away, and come back on the day we return, I
have to get the instruction manual out and spend a fair bit of time fiddling
with it. It's quite complex and I agree would be wholly unsuitable for an
elderly person (although I'm 64!).

--
Kev