Posted to uk.d-i-y
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Programmable thermostat

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
MuddyMike wrote:
"Tabby" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 2:09 pm, Fredxx wrote:
This for an old lady in her 70's and I want this to be as simple as
possible to setup and use.

I am replacing the existing thermostat, so a wired version would be
preferred, will require batteries as I'm fairly sure there isn't a
permanent live and neutral at the existing stat.

Any recommended makes and models?

If you want simple, forget about programmable stats. I had one and
fonud that in practice it did nothing useful that a bimetal stat and
programmer dont do.

I have to disagree with that. We have a programmable room stat and
its far better than the old dial one. We set different temperatures
for different times of the day no standard stat + programmer can do
that.

It can. You just turn the dial on the roomstat.

Each to their own. One big advantage of the programmable room stat is that
it can be set at a low temperature for night time, a medium temp for during
the day, and a higher temp for mornings and evenings. It then just does it
without having to keep making adjustments. If we do want a different setting
for a short period its as easy as turning a traditional stat up or down, but
with the knowledge that after that time period it will return to its normal
settings. Now that is far more useful than a standard bimetal stat.

Mike