Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default End grain sealer

On 06/15/2011 07:08 AM, Jack Stein wrote:

Find yourself an old electric iron. Works really really well.

When I was young I used to snow ski, and I'd wax my skis with an old
steam iron. One day I was using the lathe on some green firewood and
making lamp blanks and wanted to seal them to stop the cracks sure to
come when drying. Light went on and I had some old paraffin wax laying
around and wow, did that work great for sealing end grain.

I have a lot of old firewood I turned into high quality hardwood billets
with almost no cracking using this method.

Yeah, I've heard of folks doing that. But end grain sealer is less
fiddly (at least for me - YMMV). Nothing to plug in - just slather on a
coat and let 'er dry.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a gallon of sealer that's
fine. I'm just trying to salvage the half gallon or so of sealer in
another jar that set up on me. If it works great. If not, no biggie.

Appreciate the suggestion though...

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska