Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Drawing

RonB wrote:
On Jun 14, 8:59 pm, Larry
wrote:

Someone told me that in college
that the engineering students and the art students were on completely
different parts of campus. That it was like 2 different worlds. Having
examined the drawing books for myself, I understand that facts all that
much better now... : )

Indeed. Engineering students are concerned with function while art
students are concerned only with form, to the exclusion of function.

A lot of people seem to have trouble with this. In high school I was
pretty artistic and everyone thought I should go into drafting. I had
some mechanical design interest too, but unrelated to art.

Art and drafting are very loosely related. An excellent draftsman
does not need to be artistic - drafting is the language of engineering
and the precise definition of objects. With that said, some guys I
knew who were artistic by nature could produce some very nice
engineering drawings. They just looked better.

RonB

My dad, as a civil engineer, produced drawings like that. Here's a
subtle illustration that someone may possibly understand. When he was
'promoted' to "The City Engineer" he moved his drafting table with him
into his new office. I realize that is a complex illustration and you
either understand it or you don't. I don't mind sharing the story
because I think it illustrates passion.

Bill (jr)