Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tolerance indications

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:18:22 -0500, CaveLamb

On Jun 15, 4:54 pm, CaveLamb wrote:
Quick question regarding machining tolerances...

I need to indicate dimensional tolerance on a drawing.
A fork with 1.130 inside dim.

the tolerance is -0, +(what)?

Non critical precision.

.005?
.010?

--

Richard Lambhttp://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelambhttp://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

If I remember correctly , unless otherwise indicated tolerances on
Aerospace dwg are +/- .030. Since one side is -0, reasonable
tolerance would be + .060.

Dan

Thanks all.
I don't think -0/+.060 wouldn't hurt anything.

Gooseneck fitting on the mast is about worn out.

Sad photos at:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/boom.htm

And no replacement parts available. Well, actually there is one,
but it has shrunk in the last 20 years! Doesn't fit, and is made
from lighter materials.

And no, I can't just relocate the new one. That would queer the
boat from class racing. They really are that strict.

One of the challenges of owning a rare boat, I guess.

Now a bigger challenge is to find someone who can fab it...

Why not simply reweld and remachine it? Its not rocket science. And its
only aluminum.

Hell..if you cant weld aluminum, machine it out and stick in a sleeve.

Gunner

--
Maxim 12: A soft answer turneth away wrath.
Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head.