Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Tolerance indications

wrote:
On Jun 15, 4:54 pm, CaveLamb wrote:
Quick question regarding machining tolerances...

I need to indicate dimensional tolerance on a drawing.
A fork with 1.130 inside dim.

the tolerance is -0, +(what)?

Non critical precision.

.005?
.010?

--

Richard Lambhttp://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelambhttp://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress

If I remember correctly , unless otherwise indicated tolerances on
Aerospace dwg are +/- .030. Since one side is -0, reasonable
tolerance would be + .060.

Dan

Thanks all.
I don't think -0/+.060 wouldn't hurt anything.

Gooseneck fitting on the mast is about worn out.

Sad photos at:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress/boom.htm

And no replacement parts available. Well, actually there is one,
but it has shrunk in the last 20 years! Doesn't fit, and is made
from lighter materials.

And no, I can't just relocate the new one. That would queer the
boat from class racing. They really are that strict.

One of the challenges of owning a rare boat, I guess.

Now a bigger challenge is to find someone who can fab it...