Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Bosch palm router $99 a good price?

On Jun 15, 9:34*am, Han wrote:
Swingman wrote om:

On 6/15/2011 6:05 AM, Han wrote:
Amazon has it for $99 (free shipping with Amazon Prime):
Bosch PR20EVSK Colt Palm Grip 5.6 Amp 1-Horsepower Fixed-Base
Variable- Speed Router with Edge Guide
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ANQHTA/...4120_pe_epc_d2

Is that a good price?

Yes!

I really like my Bosch Colt ... having owned one since they hit the
market.

The only con, IMO, is that it uses a single wrench and a push button
lock system on the shaft, to change a bit. That can be exasperating (I
often have to hold it between by knees and use both hands, one on the
button while wielding the wrench, to get the bit loose).

That said, it is the most easily controlled, comfortable to use (and
to use safely) router of the five or six I own, so the above is a
small price to pay for those big pluses ... although I do turn the air
blue on occasion when changing a bit.

Thanks, Karl. *I thought I remembered your gushing about it. *But after
"tommyboy" mentioned the Ridgid zrr2401, I looked that up (again), and
really liked the LED and transparent base(s). *So I ordered a
reconditioned one from CPOProTools/CPORidgid. *$82 delivered. *I'll
report on it after I try it out.

--
Best regards
Han

My experience with the Ridgid trim routers has been a bad one. Just
didn't last.
I bought the Colt and love it, a much more serious piece than those
two #$%^& Ridgids.
Having said that, I bought the Ridgid 2901 which is surprisingly good
and a great deal with the two bases.

I'm with Swing in that ever since I bought that 1 HP(+) Bosch, I seem
to use it a lot even though I haven't found the same issue with the
bit changing procedure. (The air around here is somewhat blue-ish most
of the time and it ain't lavender.)

Caveat: The body style of my two Ridgid trim routers doesn't look
anything like the 2401 and were bought some 5 years ago. So my harsh
evaluation may not be applicable, and I sure hope that my dislike
doesn't apply to your purchase. I mean these two were awful.
Keep us posted.