Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar PV - reasons why not in a nutshell please

John Williamson wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:30:34 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message

On Jun 14, 12:03 pm, Jim K wrote:
On Jun 14, 10:51 am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
8

interesting calculator he-

http://www.solaressence.co.uk/pv-pri...ff-payback-cal...

you can tweak all their assumptions and play around with it all (e.g.
correct their 80% panel efficiency after 30 years "assumption"),
lower
their 9% p.a. elec. inflation figure

in fact just lowering that to 4.5% (say, still 1% above their RPI
figure) reduced the overall benefit to 5.9% AER over 25years on a 4kw
system - also I can't see any allowances in there for new inverters
(£???), cleaning, insurance, repairs, accidents and other risks on
the
"purchase"...

mmmm anyone care to comment?

Jim K
It's all very well saying you will get x% return for 25 years, but do
you get your capital back at the end? No.
You get an income for 25 years equal to about 2.5 times your initial
investment.
You may get additional income at a lower rate after 25 years.
Yebbut.

UK inflation is currently an annual 4.5%. There have been times over
the last 40 years when it has been much higher. The currency has
devalued by 20% over the last two years.

Only if you believe the official figures. I have calculated the
difference between what I buy now and what it cost a year ago. It's
gone up a lot more than 4.5%

My biggest bills (Petrol and power) have gone up by a *lot* more than
4.5%. A bottle of Coke is about 75% more than it was a year ago, and
bread's up by 10% in my corner shop.

Point made in todays FT.

Mortgages and computers cheap, fuel and food very expensive. Guess which
sectors of society suffer most under that sort of differential?

you got it, those on low incomes and retired.