Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stain on marble top

asalcedo wrote:
'Dave Liquorice[_2_ Wrote:
;2660903']On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:53:52 +0000, asalcedo wrote:
-
I have a marble top in the bathroom with a circular white stain that
is
raised and dull against the shiny finish of the marble. I believe it
is
limescale or perhaps the result of Viakal cleaner.-

Bit late now but don't let anything even remotely acidic near marble
it will dissolve it. Viakal is an excellent lime scale remover(*),
marble is to all intents and purposes lime scale...

Raised seems a bit odd for acid attack,, I'd expect a hollow. Does
this marble have any finish/polish on it or is the surface just
nicely polished smooth naked marble? Maybe something has got under
that finish and caused the marble to expand?

Does this raised section respond to a soft (non-metalic) scraper?
(Edge of old credit card cut to suitable width).

(*) I've used it to remove the bloom on tiles after not cleaning
waterproof (aka "cement") based grout of them properly.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The original stain was circular and raised (it is only just slightly
raised, perhaps 0.2mm). Probably limescale deposit around the bottom of
a glass.

It is likely sort of limescale, but its not the satin that's raised, its
the actual marble. Marble is largely calcium carbonate, highly
compressed an in your case, polished.

Any acid will turn that into a different calcium salt. So depending on
what has been there (acetic acid, vinegar lemon and wine, sulphuric acid
in strong bog cleaners, hydrochloric is you threw up on it or used brick
acid, formic or or sulphamic if it was a descaler etc) the marble is no
longer marble, but a different calcium slat whioch may be more bulky
than the marble was.

So its not stain, in the same way that rust on iron is not a stain.

The are around the stain is dull and rough, probably as a result of the
attempts to clean the original stain with different products, including
Viakal.

Arggh!

The raised stain, does not respond to non metallic scraper.

The marble has, I think, a polished finish.

all you can do is polish it back and hope. It will never go. Its ruined
basically, but it may look better .

use wet and dry paper wet, followed by car rubbing down compund.