Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default gfi outlets in galley kitchen

On 6/13/2011 11:17 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:15:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jun 13, 9:31 pm, "hr(bob)
wrote:
On Jun 13, 5:21 pm, wrote:

On 6/13/2011 5:50 PM, bob haller wrote:

On Jun 13, 6:37 am, wrote:

** When GFCI protection was first required for kitchen counter outlets,
it was for outlets within six feet of the sink. It's since evolved into
requiring all counter outlets to be protected- Hide quoted text -

one day it will be every outlet in home

No, current code requires AFCI protection for most other outlets in
habitable rooms- Hide quoted text -

Can those arc fault devices be daisy-chained like GFCI's can be daisy-
chained?

I don't see why they couldn't

The AFCI's in my house are really circuit breakers. Somewhat $$
compared to standard breakers.

Joe

There is a mythical "device" style AFCI but like unicorns, big foot
and an honest politician, nobody has really seen one.
Breakers are what you get.

Nice.
I did see a picture of an AFCI receptacle (which didn't then exist) in a
2011 code changes book.

Starting 2014, in areas where new circuits have to be AFCI protected,
replacement receptacles will have to be AFCI protected. Can be by AFCI
breakers or "mythical" AFCI receptacles, or downstream from AFCI
receptacles.

Starting in the 2011 NEC, extensions to circuits in areas where AFCI
protection for new circuits is required, the extensions have to be AFCI
protected. Can be by AFCI breakers or being downstream from a "mythical"
AFCI receptacle. (I remembered this one was delayed too, but it isn't.)

You are doubtless aware of these, but others may not be.

Looks like the code panel wants a retro requirement that old circuits be
AFCI protected and this is all they could do. Would be nice if they
didn't want "mythical devices".

Any rumors on the ultimate intent - like all 15/20A circuits everywhere
be AFCI protected?

The code still would only allow you to have this device
connected to the panel with metal conduit or "steel armored" MC/AC
cable.

True when used to protect a new circuit (as the equivalent of an AFCI
breaker).

If used as above as a replacement receptacle, or to protect circuit
extensions, or to protect existing downstream receptacles they wouldn't
need the metal protection. Until maybe the next NEC.

--
bud--