Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Drawing

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:16:43 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/13/2011 11:40 PM, Bill wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

I will distinguish here between "a sketch", "a formal design document
drawing",and "art". My interests also do not extend into color thus far.

Learning how to draw formal design documents will help you with your
sketching. Your pencil will automatically know where to go to start.

I believe you, but it seems like one should make several sketches before
drawing a formal design document. One of the things I noticed in
browsing what I could of the book Architectural Graphics were the
mention of different *types* of drawings. That seems to me like what is
missing from, or could complement, a typical sketch that I might make.

Actually you start off with simple mechanical drawings, drafting is a
very strict style of drawing with lots of tricks and rules.
We never sketched anything in preparation of drawing what would be the
finished drawing. The drawing required preparation so that it would be
centered properly on the sheet of paper. Basically you started with
determining the over all size of the object being drawn and that gave
you a starting point for each view. I don't recall the formula but
there was on used to center isometric drawings on the sheet.

Yes, that might be better for him.
http://goo.gl/5Bg8I fi dollah, delivered.
From the Seventies, before things got hosed in schools.

Looks like that may be a suitable book.

And as Larry has indicated once you have done a load of those properly
structured drawings, sketching free hand seems to come naturally. You
develope a very keen eye for things that stick out in a tool assisted
mechanical drawing which dont look right. You find your self comparing
lines that should be parallel or perpendicular. As you start sketching
you do the same thing and quickly make corrections as you sketch those
lines.

Right, you learn how things are supposed to look from whatever
perspective, and then sketch them in an emulation of the more formal
drawing.

I understand. I should be grateful for the artistic skills I have--even
though they aren't honed with the sort of precision Leon described
("drafting is a very strict style of drawing with lots of tricks and
rules...") I think I will keep practicing as opportunities present
themselves. I now have a pad and pencils nearby. I was hoping for
structured exercises, and I'm sure to find some in the book you
suggested--though I'm sure it's rather the T-square/drafting table
approach. My original intention was to let SketchUp pick up where my
"sketches" leave off. I'll try to balance my strategy with what you and
Leon are suggesting. Perhaps by getting the book you linked to above or
similar.
When I started this thread I was asking how I might go about learning to
"sketch" better. I understand that learning to do formal drawings will
help my sketching. Maybe I can learn some of the theories and apply it
to my sketching and reduce the "overhead"? %) Becoming acquainted
with the theories are will be a good start! I've got my dad's rules,
triangles, and compasses just a feet away--oh, and the slide rule too!!!
Might be handy if I wish to sketch a "spring-pole lathe"-ala Roy
Underhill. I need to be careful what I put on my plate so I don't
burst!--lol.

By the way, the drill press baseboard (with wheels and legs) is
complete. I "just" need to assemble the DP on top of it. I will try to
assemble it on the ground and lift it up. Admittedly, it's been
intimidating me for a few days...my wife underwent some surgery too, but
I accept responsibility for the delay. I need to take full advantage
now of the currently ideal weather! I can practice drawing snowmen in
the winter, to spec.!

Bill