Posted to rec.woodworking
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Drawing

Snip

Coincidentally, the newest issue of FWW, which arrived a few days ago,
contained an article encouraging "old fashioned formal drawing", on $38
paper (containing perspective lines...), using a a t-square and a
drawing board and addititional wasted $ for tracing equipment, etc..
IMO, I almost feel like the author should apologize in the next issue
and show how to do everything better, faster and cheaper on SketchUp!
Ironically, I wouldn't say SketchUp is for sketching as I have used the
term above.

Bill

I recall way back when I took drafting courses in school. Long before
computers, when drawings were done on a straight edged drawing board.
Add to that the t-square, right triangle, 30-60-90 triangle and the
scale. With those simple tools and the help of dividers and a bow
compass we could draw just about any thing. Even more interesting was
knowing how to draw a perfect elipse with a bow compass and triangles.

The first year class was very disciplined with lots of rules and lots of
lettering. The last quarter of that year we had to give up all the tools
except for the drawing board and pencil. All drawing till the end of the
year would be free hand. I was shocked as to how simple this seamed and
how accurate the drawings were considering every thing appeared very
close to scale.

I did minimal drafting in woodshop and metalshop classes in high school.
My dad also had a drafting table set up at home for a few years before
that and I experimented by trying to copy a few schematic diagrams I saw
in a book (when I was about 13). I didn't have the discipline (or guidance
or expertise) at the time to draw the diagrams as neat as the ones in the
book. My dad was a civil engineer (though). I tried to read "Popular
Electronics" from the school library every month--that was some of the
"hardest reading" I did in those days. I believe Popular Electronics
folded into Byte magazine around 1980 or so.

Bill

I still have my tools and drafting board from high school class in 1943.
Still use them. At my age the computer programs are tough for me to
comprehend. I also block print instead of curser. A couple weeks ago our
grand daughter, eight years old saw me printing something that had the
number 8. She informed me I did not know how to make an 8. I make it with 2
little circles, same as on the keyboard I am using. She of course uses the
curser as taught in school . Also Bill, I have many years of Popular
Electronics magazines. WW