Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawing

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 07:06:27 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 6/13/2011 9:22 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:58:38 -0400, wrote:

I don't think I've seen many threads on drawing/sketching here.

A point of view I'm considering is that it's difficult to "design"
anything without being able to sketch. Thus I've developed some interest
in improving my skills in this area. For instance, I might like to
sketch some (bed) back boards to show my wife, or just for my own
amusement. I think that in woodworking that some sketching is
assumed--and while I think I can draw better than those who say they
"can't", I believe I have plenty of room to improve too!

First, get a nice architectural drafting book like Frank Ching's
_Architectural Graphics_. I found a 1985 copy for a couple bucks.
The 2009 version is $18. Oh, ISBN.nu has the old version for $7.50.

I will distinguish here between "a sketch", "a formal design document
drawing",and "art". My interests also do not extend into color thus far.

Learning how to draw formal design documents will help you with your
sketching. Your pencil will automatically know where to go to start.

Strange phenomenon, may be not as practice makes perfect. I also found
that my script hand writing improved dramatically as a result from all
the structured lettering required in the mechanical and architectural
classes.

Whoa! Mine sure didn't. I was born left-handed and teachers tried to
"fix" me. The last teacher who tried that had her ass reamed by Mom
after she put me in a metal hand brace to hold the pencil. I was so
frustrated when I got home I was still crying. Mom fixed her wagon.

Anywho, after that, the only thing I wrote in cursive script was my
signature. Everything else is block. When I write script, I tend to
squeeze the writing instrument into submission, smearing lead or ink
all over the page, still thinking about that damned teacher and her
metal brace.

--
To know the road ahead, ask those coming back.
-- Chinese Proverb