Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default More wireless router issues

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Liquorice wrote:

I haven't quite worked out what a
"BT Openzone Premium" hotspot is, I suspect it's what is installed in
public places like stations, sports venues etc. Just where I'd like
to use a bit of WiFi...

Can anyone clarify what "BT Openzone" spots one can access for free
if you have a shared Fon router online?

I found this information difficult to track down. I have an android
phone that's actually on an O2 iPhone contract which means it should
come with free WiFi, I've never had much joy with it, it's not clear if
this is because the network can tell I've not really got an iPhone (I
tried User Agent spoofing, but it could still use MAC address) now I
just don't bother with public WiFi.

I have an android phone on o2 and have used wifi openzone.
However they may have been free anyway as quite a lot are and I never
bothered checking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used the IMEI to authenticate as I don't
think you need a SIM in to use the wifi.