Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Solar PV - reasons why not in a nutshell please

On Jun 14, 12:19 pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Jun 14, 12:03 pm, Jim K wrote:

On Jun 14, 10:51 am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

cynic wrote:
On Jun 13, 2:20 pm, BruceB wrote:
In article , says...

On 13-06-2011 09:15, Jim K wrote:
arsehole relative is forging ahead and crowing abt it all in usual
manner- anyone care to give me a succinct indefensible argument to
hopefully reinforce what a prick he is?
Cheers
Jim K
Because they are typically about 19% efficent. There are developments in
progress which will greatly increase the efficency thus making them
economically viable. They will also get cheaper. I'd wait about 5 years
and then get some. Whilst waiting get a solar thermal system installed.
Waiting for them to become more efficient does not mean that the
economic case for them will improve. The subsidy at the moment is so
good (the FIT rate) and it is guaranteed to be indexed at rpi that if
you have the capital it is a no-brainer. You will earn 8-12% inflation
proofed on your investment for 25 years. I do not know of a better
investment the average person can access. Certainly much better than
putting a pension lump sum into an annuity.
Regards
Bruce

And every time the energy companies raises the price of electricity
the payback period reduces.
Taking the moral high ground and saying the consumers who dont have
panels will pay for those who do doesn't change the fiscal reality.
The question is do you want to be one of those who benefit or one of
those who pay for others to do so?

well we know where harry stands.

interesting calculator he-

http://www.solaressence.co.uk/pv-pri...ff-payback-cal...

you can tweak all their assumptions and play around with it all (e.g.
correct their 80% panel efficiency after 30 years "assumption"), lower
their 9% p.a. elec. inflation figure

in fact just lowering that to 4.5% (say, still 1% above their RPI
figure) reduced the overall benefit to 5.9% AER over 25years on a 4kw
system - also I can't see any allowances in there for new inverters
(£???), cleaning, insurance, repairs, accidents and other risks on the
"purchase"...

mmmm anyone care to comment?

Jim K

It's all very well saying you will get x% return for 25 years, but do
you get your capital back at the end? No.

MBQ

er yeah that's factored in on the calculator I think ? "breakeven" etc

In other words you (just about) get your original capital back
(allegedly) after 7-10yrs ....erm... assuming nothing has needed
repairing or replacing, & erm.... just when most guarantees are about
to/have run out....leaving you on your own for the rest of the 25years
of "pure profit" forecasted.....

Jim K