Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Drawing

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:58:38 -0400, wrote:

I don't think I've seen many threads on drawing/sketching here.

A point of view I'm considering is that it's difficult to "design"
anything without being able to sketch. Thus I've developed some interest
in improving my skills in this area. For instance, I might like to
sketch some (bed) back boards to show my wife, or just for my own
amusement. I think that in woodworking that some sketching is
assumed--and while I think I can draw better than those who say they
"can't", I believe I have plenty of room to improve too!

First, get a nice architectural drafting book like Frank Ching's
_Architectural Graphics_. I found a 1985 copy for a couple bucks.
The 2009 version is $18. Oh, ISBN.nu has the old version for $7.50.

Looks interesting. Thanks!

I will distinguish here between "a sketch", "a formal design document
drawing",and "art". My interests also do not extend into color thus far.

Learning how to draw formal design documents will help you with your
sketching. Your pencil will automatically know where to go to start.

I believe you, but it seems like one should make several sketches before
drawing a formal design document. One of the things I noticed in
browsing what I could of the book Architectural Graphics were the
mention of different *types* of drawings. That seems to me like what is
missing from, or could complement, a typical sketch that I might make.

There appear to be dozens of books with titles like "How To Draw XXX",
where XXX is horses, cartoons, people, ..., but (for some strangle
reason) none on "furniture"! ; ) Book suggestions welcome (I am
considering "How To Draw What You See"). Until yesterday I never tried
drawing with a graphite pencil softer than a regular #2.

What do you know of perspective? Do you think in 2D or 3D?

I know to include a "view point" and draw the edges, of say a piece of
lumber, toward it. I was hoping to expand my "shading" skills.

On a scale of 1-10 for a non-engineer my sketching is probably a 6 or 7.
I think my sketching would look poor compared to that of an engineer.
Maybe we should "Draw Blinky"? : )

I saved a copy of all of these and I will visit them. Thanks!

Try some of these on for size. Watch for sparks:

http://goo.gl/7oJa0 freehand sketching

http://goo.gl/wGA8T design your own furniture (maybe not)

http://goo.gl/EPv6Y Bob Lang's _Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture_

http://isbn.nu/9789063692537 Sketching, the basics $$
It's so new, it's not even published yet.

--
You are today where your thoughts have brought you;
you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.