Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Can this GE microwave have an outlet above in the cabinet.

On Jun 13, 10:52*am, "RogerT" wrote:
RogerT wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
Yes, you can do that. That's exactly what I did with a GE Spacemaker
II back in January of this year. I bought the under-cabinet mounting
bracket that they sell for it, mounted it under a cabinet, ran the
cord up into the cabinet above, and plugged the cord into an outlet
that I put inside that cabinet.- Hide quoted text -

Thank You. Can you tell me how far of a space did you leave on the
back for the cord to route up to the cabinet? Or were you able to
push the microwave flush against the backsplash?

I can't remember for sure, but I am pretty sure the microwave went
right back against the backsplash -- or at most, there was a 1/8-1/4
inch space between the back of the microwave and the backsplash. And, if I
remember correctly, the way the back of the unit is
designed there is sort of a bump out where most of the back sticks
out, but around the perimeter of the back there is a path where it
doesn't stick out as far as the bump out area -- so there is a path
where the cord can go. *Running the cord up and through a hole in the
bottom of the wall cabinets was easy, and the cord just plugged into
an outlet that was mounted in the wall on the inside of the cabinet.
To understand the exact depth of the space where the microwave went,
there were standard wall cabinets above the microwave and from which
the microwave was hung. *Then there was a 4x4 tile backsplash from
the countertop up to the cabinets. *So, the tiles reduced the
available depth by the thickness of the tiles. *I don't remember the
exact depth of the wall cabinets, but they were new standard depth
wall cabinets.

P.S. *I forgot to mention that when you hang the microwave from the wall
cabinet above, there is a space between the top of the microwave and the
bottom shelf of the cabinet. *That's because the sides, front, and back of
the cabinet come down about 3/4-inch below the actual bottom shelf of the
cabinet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again.