Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Siphon a truck tank?

On Jun 12, 9:07*pm, wrote:
Being an 89, I dont know if you have fuel injection or carburetor. *If
you have FI then the fuel pump is in the tank. *If so, the pump may
have died. *But first check the wiring. *Put a meter on the line near
the tank. *Flip switch to that tank and see if there is power. *

One way to empty it if there is not a simple wiring problem, would be
to put two small floor jacks under the tank with a wide plank between
them. *Jack it tight, but not enough to crush the tank. *Remove the
tank straps, and lower the jacks slowly. *Yea, disconnect all hoses
and wires as you go down. *Since the tank is full, it will be heavy,
so I'd have someone down there to make sure it stays on the plank. *Or
just put a bunch of old couch cushions or an old foam pad there. so if
it tips it wont wreck the tank. *When it's all the way down, remove
the ring holding the fuel pump or float "thingie" ( i cant think of
the correct word), then pull that out, and have someone help pour the
gas in a clean 5 gallon pail (or several of them). *Then you'll need a
funnel to put the gas in proper containers. *Of course, NO SMOKING
when doing this.

OR, if it's under the truck bed and accessible, you can do as I did to
a GMC pickup. *I got tired of lowering the tank because of those
crappy intank fuel pumps. *I just cut a hole in the truck bed right
above the fuel pump. *Then I made a panel to screw over the hole.
Now, if I want to work on the fuel pump I can just remove about 10
screws and pull the pump. *

Those damn in the tank fuel pumps are the biggest mistake the auto
makers ever did. *The mechanics love them though, because they are
getting rich on this mistake. *A local mechanic told me replacing in
the tank pumps accounts for 1/3 of his business, and a typical job is
$600 to $800. *Deduct $60 to $130 for the pump itself, and he is
making a big profit on every job, which he said averages 3 hours of
work, depending on how rusted things are. *

****, I remember changing the old (on the engine) fuel pumps on the
shoulder of the road which took 20 minutes and cost $20 to $30 for a
new pump, gasket, and sealer, and they would last another 10 years. *

Fuel injection in and of itself seems to be a good thing, but they
really need to devise a better pump system. *I dont know why they cant
put them under the hood or at least NEXT TO the tank, nto IN it.

----------

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:47:07 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

wrote:
My 89 F150 will no longer draw gas from the main tank. *Not a biggee
as the truck is my beat to crap 'wooding' rig and hasn't been more
than 30 miles fromthe house in over 20 years.

I want to recover the gas that is in the tank (full) somehow. *Is
there a way to beat the anti-siphon baffle? *Or is there some other
way to drain that tank?

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

It's FI. I will probably take it to the local mechanic and have him
run electrical tests. Pump will most definitely _not_ be replaced if
it is bad. Switch maybe.

Harry K