Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default gfi outlets in galley kitchen

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:16:04 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
I am getting to the end of a kitchen reno. This is a galley style
kitchen. On one side of the kitchen is the sink, where I will put GFI
outlets. On the opposite wall there is just cabinets with
counterspace. Am I correct that no GFI outlets are required on the
opposite wall since there is no sink? Is there a distance requirement
where GFI should be located from the sink and does that apply to the
same counter, or overall distance from the sink no matter where you
are standing?

There is a distance factor, but I'm not positive. I think 6' from the sink
edge. Best to check with the local inspector in case he interprets things
differently

You use plural outlets. Only one on a branch has to be gfci, the ones
downstream will be protected. Of course, you want a few circuits in the
kitchen so as not to overload when running a toaster and coffee pot, etc.

But not the refrigerator or freezer, I learned here. No gfci there.
(too likely to trip and ruin the food, and I guess no one shocks
himself from the fridge.)