Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aloris adjustment height?

On 2011-06-13, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I'm about to take the plunge, but the Aloris catalog only lists specific
lathes, not a way to calculate which toolholder one needs for a particular
compound height.

Does anyone know the formula, or how much a (say) BXA allows one to adjust
the holders vertically once on the post?

The first thing is whether it will go low enough. To determine
that, measure the distance between the top of the compound and the
center height.

Next -- measure from the bottom of the tool holder to the top of
the tool slot (thus for the largest tool which will be held in there).
If this is less than or equal to the center height above the compound,
you are probably fine. Pick the largest which will fit, as this gives
you the most rigid setup.

Have you downloaded the Aloris catalog in PDF format? I've got
one which I downloaded n 2 January 2006, and b clicking on the index
item "Quick Change Shank Tool Holders" I get dimensions of AXA holders,
and the next page (page 7) ahs the dimensions of BXA CXA, CA, DA, and EA
series. Dimension "A" is the dimension from the bottom of the tool
holder to the top of the slot. For the AXA #1 tool holder (square shank),
it is 15/16" for the AXA, BXA is 1-1/8", CXA is 1-7/16" and you can
download the catalog and look up the larger ones if it matters.

Figure at least 1/2" height adjustment range for the BXA. I
don't have an AXA, and have never used one, so I can't give you a feel
for that range.

Page 5 (on this older catalog) gives you most of the dimensions
of the toolposts.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564