Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Web Store Software

On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:00:02 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Well, neither of those example stores impress. Both are using
needlessly huge pics.

The first one here I compressed to 39K
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...-fem_500px.jpg
This is the original 100K
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/...-fem_500px.jpg

I think she did a passable job on optimization compared to some sites
I've seen, with the same physical size pics taking two to four
megabytes each.

Tell me you can see an appreciable visual difference, yet one will
load almost 4 times faster. I could easily get it down to 28K with a
tiny but acceptable amount of fuzzies on the fine text.

Good job, BTW.

I have been programming websites for probably 15 years, can't recall
when I started, but it is not an afternoon's book reading to do it.

Ditto. Five years after I began, I bought a copy of Jennifer
Niederst's _Web Design in a Nutshell_ and almost cried. There she had
almost all of the little hard-won tips and tricks I'd learned in those
first 5 years. It's out in its third edition now. http://goo.gl/NmP5z

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.