Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Brick quantities for various bonds

On Jun 12, 10:17*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
Richard wrote:
On 12/06/2011 18:22, harry wrote:
On Jun 12, 10:48 am, *wrote:
On 12/06/2011 10:30, Richard wrote:

On 12/06/2011 09:48, John Williamson wrote:
Richard wrote:
Let's imagine that I want to buld a wall 5 bricks long and 12 courses
high.

http://www.ibstock.com/highlights-brick-calculator.asp

You see, on the brick calculator, that if I did that the area is
exactly 1 square metre. You also see that it would take 60 bricks.
That tallies with the brick quantities on page 13 of Ibstock's Guide
to Good Practice cataligue.

What I understand is, that if I built the same wall, 5 bricks long
and
12 courses high, but English bond, I'd use 86 bricks. Or, Flemish
bond, 77 bricks.

But, if I use less bricks, because I choose Flemish over English
bond,
say, I must use more mortar. That's what I think is the case. If
mortar is more expensive than brick, it would be more expensive to
build with less bricks.

Or, am I making a mistake somewhere?

Possibly. We always used to order the same number of bricks for a
215mm
thick wall, no matter what the bond, ignoring minor stuff like
chopping
bricks in half for odd sized holes and corner bonding. The
calculator on
the page is for 102mm thick walls assuming that for each header,
you use
a complete brick, throwing away the other half brick. There may be an
allowance in their calculations for spoilage when the bricks are cut.