Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Concrete tamper

"DD_BobK" wrote in message
On Jun 12, 8:56 am, "Steve B" wrote:
I bought a two handed concrete tamper at a yard sale yesterday, probably
spending too much for it ............ $10. But I needed one.

On the bottom screen, it's reasonably clean, but has some residual
concrete
on it. From the looks of it, it has been on there for quite a while. What
is the best way to get that off? I don't want to beat on it with a hammer
and bend it all up. It's expanded metal. Would soaking it in water, or
maybe spraying it with some petroleum base product soften it enough for a
power washer to take it off? How do you clean yours when it has hardened?
The spaces are still there, so it hasn't hardened totally all the way
across.

Steve

If it looks anything like this

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Kraft...A,__849112699/

$10 was a steal. I bought one like this ~20 years ago for ~$40.
Loaned it out to ???? & never got it back.

To clean it up, either:

back it up with a hard flat surface & go after it from the top side
with a 3 lb sledge & a large diameter rod where you need it.; harder
than tapping but don't pound on it.
OR
place it in a shallow plastic tray and soak it in a 50/50 solution of
pool acid & water.
You can also spray the acid solution one but you'll "waste" more of it
due to runoff.

I really don't see spraying the concrete with any kind of petroleum
based product as softening the concrete

cheers
Bob

This is one of those types. The guy was a retired 72 yo contractor. Man he
had some "stuff". The tamper had to be 20+ years old, probably USA made. I
shall take your advice of the 50/50 soak. Just wanted to check before I go
after it in case there's some easy way to do it. Think if I get it softened
up that some power washing, and light tapping with a hammer and backup will
take off all that I want to take off.

Oh, goody. Now I can pour a slab between my containers, and take a big step
in making my shop. 1280 sf. Two 40' containers with 16' between with
complete metal cover and hoist frame.

About time.

Steve