Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Small Gear Puller?

I just acquired a Servo small drill press. These are really nice
variable speed precision drills, with a dila indicator depth readout.

Unfortunately, mine was a bit abused, and I'm in the process of fixing it
up. The downfeed lever screws into a hub that is on the end of the
pinion shaft. In theory, the hub is only held in place by the pressure
of the lever being used as an oversized setscrew. Mine is stuck on
firmly, and the handle has been used loose, which has wallowed out the
threads in the hub. I'm ordering a new hub, but I need to get the old
one off. My biggest fear is that some nitwit epoxied in on, although I
can't see anything suspicious.

I am going to try some Kroil, but I suspect I may have to apply some
force to get the old hub off. The easiest way to avoid putting any force
on any of the internal gears or bearings is to cut/grind a couple grooves
in the sides of the hub, and use a small 2-arm gearpuller to pop it off.

The hub is about an inch in diameter, and the end of the shaft is about a
quarter of an inch. Most "small" gear puller all seem to be a bit too
big. There also seem to be a lot of small specialized pullers for
"armature bearings", and "Pittman Arms", but many don't really indicate
how big they are. A lot of pullers are rated by tonage, and I'd guess
1/2 ton would be plenty, but they don't seme to come that small.

For example, this one looks lovely:

http://www.amazon.com/OTC-7311A-Pitm.../dp/B0002SRGHK

but it doesn't say how close the jaws will close, and it costs a fortune.

Anyone got a likely device they can recommend? I can always build
something, but I have enough projects piled up as it is.

Thanks!

Doug White