Posted to rec.woodworking
Lobby Dosser[_3_] Lobby Dosser[_3_] is offline

Default What does anybody think of a Harbor Freight air compressor?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:32:17 -0400, Bill wrote:

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/11 3:21 PM, CW wrote:
wrote in message
I am in the market and this one seems intriguing. I have some clamps
and such from them and they are okay--I am not so sure about things
like air compressors.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-hp-2...sor-67847.html

150 PSI Chinese bomb. Considering the quality level of HF merchandise
(everywhere from not bad to total crap) I wouldn't trust them with my
life
and that's what you are doing using their air compressor. Odds are
though
you won't get the one welded together by the ****ed off slave labor.
Feeling
lucky?

So you're one of those guys who thinks an air talk can explode like a
bomb, huh?

I assume it's got a safety valve of some sort. What's the skinny?

I haven't checked the stats, but my SWAG is that 98.99% of tanks
develop pinhole leaks which expand, )1% blow at the seams sans
shrapnel, and the other 0.01% have pressure relief valves stick (how
much overpressure can a cheap pump put out, anyway?) and they actually
explode, hurting someone. Here's the nastiest one I could find in ten
minutes. giggle http://goo.gl/I5ab8

Seam ruptures on a 21 gallon tank put (15psia empty, 150psi full) 210
gallons of air into the shop in a short amount of time, blowing out
the windows and making the ears smart a bit, wot?

Used to do mechanical QA on tubing. We pumped it full of liquid until it
burst. One end was fixed and the other plugged and free and the whole mess
was in a shrapnel proof cabinet. Goal was to get the burst pressure which,
for the stuff we were testing, was in the neighborhood of 35,000 psi. First
time I did one I got to 60,000 psi and pinholed. Let it sit for a while
dropping, then it stopped around 50,000. Couldn't find the pressure release
valve and hunted down the boss. Deal was you took an asbestos glove and
wrench, reached in the cabinet and eased off the fixture until the fluid
escaped at the fixed end. Told him I didn't sign up for that ...