Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default [Way OT] Web Store Software

Winston wrote:

One of my pals put together a web store using Google's
'checkout store gadget':
http://groups.google.com/group/check...t/topics?gvc=2

The store is fairly user-unfriendly because:
* Product images take much too long to update
* The code does not support 'global search' across multiple
categories.
* The code does not use screen space well.

How does she create a store that has the functionality and
user-friendliness of the 'gold standard' mcmaster.com
quickly, economically and with high quality without
a steep 'learning curve'.

I built a web store using oscmax, an open-source e-commerce
system that is fairly easy to use. They want to sell you their
service to configure the main page and get their ads off it, but
it is pretty easy to edit the script to do that.

You can see my store at :
http://pico-systems.com/oscrc4/catalog/index.php

It took a lot of time to get all the necessary utilities and
servers on my system, and to make it all secure. The oscmax people
have a new version that I need to upgrade to.

I'm not sure how much global search capability it has.

I hope you are joking about the McMaster-Carr site, they probably
spend several million $ per year to maintain and develop it.

Jon