Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Web Store Software

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 20:08:10 -0700 (PDT), Bob La Londe
wrote:

On Jun 11, 5:09Â*pm, Winston wrote:
Existential Angst wrote:
Â*wrote in message

(...)

I'm anxious to learn about the
surprising, delightful answers as well.

I would imagine that sites such as McM, MSC, Graingers, etc, are VERY
expensive propositions, no?

'Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that McM has contracted with a
good-sized company to design and maintain it's web presence.
It sure looks like the 'high priced spread'.

Unless the database itself is basically simple, and it's the SIZE that is
misleadingly impressive.....

I'm curious about your general Q as well, as I'm sort of in your friend's
position, and am hoping GoDaddy will have cheap-but-respectable turnkey
solutions, as well as places like SiteBuilder, and a cupla others.

I'm hoping this dazzling technology becomes commodity-ish, like, well, chips
themselves.

The closest thing to 'commodity' status appears to be the purchase of
an eCommerce package like BigCommerce and just design-by-clicking-boxes.
'Course it is rentware, so you get to pay ~$80 a month to them *after*
you purchase the package.

--Winston

I like Zen Cart and Click Cart. Zen cart is free. Both take more
effort on the part of the vendor/webmaster, but are clean professional
experiences for the shopper.

I've installed ZenCart several times, and it's a nice system, but it's
nowhere near as fast or clean as McM.

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the
effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.