Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default Siphon a truck tank?

On Jun 11, 6:07*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Jun 11, 5:08*pm, harry wrote:

On Jun 11, 8:45*pm, "HeyBub" wrote: Harry K wrote:
My 89 F150 will no longer draw gas from the main tank. *Not a biggee
as the truck is my beat to crap 'wooding' rig and hasn't been more
than 30 miles fromthe house in over 20 years.

I want to recover the gas that is in the tank (full) somehow. *Is
there a way to beat the anti-siphon baffle? *Or is there some other
way to drain that tank?

* Disconnect battery
* Disconnect IN fuel line and redirect to container
* Reconnect battery
* Turn on ignition

Unless fuel pump is mechanical...

Disconnect fuel line, extend with pipe to container. Connect
compressed air line to tank filler (wrap some rag/cloth round it to
make somewhat airtight.)
Fuel is displaced out of tank.
Be careful not to overpressure tank.

I rather suspect the pump is in the tank, probably best to drop tank
remove pump and then pump the tank dry.

electric pumps in tanks frequently fail suddenly, sometimes smacking
the tank with a hammer will shock the pump into running.

I have done the same thing on vehicle starters

right...

whack it with a 2x4 and you may get the pump to start..

Mark