Phil

Default Can I use a tree branch for wood?

"piece is too much weight for me to carry!

Shame to just cut it up and burn it, can it be used somehow for useful

maple wood?

Then the question - how do I process it?

I've never done this with Maple. Works fine with Black Walnut,
Cedar, & Locust. I don't make anything with limb cuttings longer than
12". Most is marquetry-- a few boxes. After cutting to length-Paint
the ends of your wood with Latex paint, oil paint, glue-- anything to
seal the ends. If the tree is dead--As soon as you can, debark, so
the bugs living under the bark can be removed. All I need is
powderpost beetles in my heated space. I usually let the wood set for
a year or so & then resaw, sticker and wait another year per inch of
thickness. Then I trim off the ends ( my planer doesn't like paint ),
Joint one side & plane to thickness & use. I just got my new issue of
FWW & there is a really neat article in it about using angle rounder
cuts from limbs for 'oysters' in marquetry.
just my 2Cents