Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RS at work RS at work is offline

Default Exhaust bolt choices

OK right now I am in the process of swapping out a transmission. When
was at the wrecking yard, I didn't have the right tools to be able to
disconnect the exhaust and this complicated removing the
transmission. So now that I am back working on my truck I was able to
remove the bolts from the exhaust manifolds but one of the two bolts
on the flange sheared on me.

I t appears that it is some sort of carriage bolt that is tack welded
to the flange, so a couple of touches with the cut off wheel should
make it easy enough to press out.

My question is what is the best choice to replace the bolts with?
Stainless? Grade 8? Doesn't really matter because anything is going
to turn to snot under those conditions?

I have the anti-sieze but I am sure that the combined wisdom of this
group has an answer to this. I really would like to make it easier
for the next guy, especially if that next guy is me.